State of Oklahoma Statutes Regulating Professional Engineering and Land Surveying
In order to safeguard life, health and property, and to promote the public welfare, the practice of engineering and the practice of land surveying in this state are hereby declared to be subject to regulation in the public interest.
“Professional land surveyor” or “land surveyor” means a person who has been duly licensed as a professional land surveyor pursuant to Section 475.1 et seq. of this title and the regulations issued by the Board pursuant thereto; and is a person who, by reason of special knowledge in the technique of measuring land and use of the basic principles of mathematics, the related physical and applied sciences and the relevant requirements of law for adequate evidence and all requisite to surveying of real property, acquired by education and experience, is qualified to engage in the practice of land surveying;
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
- BEFORE title in land is transferred.
- BEFORE land is subdivided.
- BEFORE land is developed by construction of buildings, roads, fences, etc.
- BEFORE a boundary dispute arises.
- BEFORE a building or fence is to be built near a property line.
- BEFORE a lot is to be conveyed from a larger tract and the lot has not been previously surveyed.
- The purpose and type of survey.
- A copy of your deed (if not readily available, please provide the mailing address of the property.)
- Any plans you have and any information about the location of existing property corners and property lines.
- Information about disagreements over location of property corners and property lines.
- Abstract or Title Commitment, if available.
No, we can not certify just one section of the whole property.
The land surveyor shall establish or confirm a monument or confirm the prior placement of monuments at each and every property corner on the boundary line or boundary lines of the parcel or tract of land being surveyed. In such cases where the placement of a required monument at its proper location is impractical, a witness or reference monument shall be placed with the data given to show its location upon the ground in relation to the boundary lines or corner.
Oklahoma State Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors: Minimum Standards for Land Surveying
One of the most defining factors of difficulty is how vague or descriptive the Legal Description for the property is written. Other factors include: Size of the property, Landscape and Terrain, and the Location of the property to our primary work area.
- Contact surveyor well before the survey is needed.
- Don’t replace markers with a post, set a post beside the marker.
- Don’t move or relocate markers.
- Removing a survey marker is a Class C misdemeanor.